Girls Spring Volleyball
The spring season (March thru early June) is dedicated to girls volleyball. The program has grown from 200 players in 2012 to an amazing 620 players and 150 volunteer coaches for the spring 2017 season making it the largest youth volleyball program in Fairfax County.
The next full season for girls is Spring 2018. Registration opens January 2018.
The spring program is open to girls in grades 4th thru 12th with eight (8) leagues:
- 4th Grade House League
- 5th Grade House League
- 6th Grade House League
- 7th Grade House League
- 8th Grade House League
- 9th-12th Grade House League
- MS Select League (open to 6th-8th graders, requires a tryout)
- HS Travel League (open to 9th-12th graders, requires a tryout)
Which League Should I Register For? The House leagues are open to everyone regardless of skill and past volleyball experience, while the MS Select and HS Travel leagues require a tryout which are usually held in early March. Everyone starts off by registering for the grade-appropriate House league. Those who earn a spot on a MS Select or HS Travel team are automatically moved to the appropiate league whole the rest are placed on a House team.
When Are Practices? During the Spring season, MYA Volleyball has access to most gyms in the McLean-area from Monday through Friday between 5:30pm and 9pm. Each team could have its weekly 90 minute practice at a different time and gym than other teams. One team could practice on a Monday from 5:30pm-7:00pm while another team in the same league could end up practicing on a Tuesday from 7:30pm-9:00pm. During registration, each participant indicates which days of the week have schedule conflicts. Our schedulers work to assign each player to a team that practices on non-conflict evening.
When Are Matches? House league matches run for 60 minutes (3 games) and are always on Saturdays between 9am and 6pm at schools in the greater McLean area. The one exception is the HS Travel League which always plays matches on Wednesday evenings. Teams only play against teams in the same league.
EXAMPLE: To help illustrate some key points, let's take the example of three sisters. All three start off by registering for the House league corresponding to their school grade. The first sister attends the MS Select tryouts in early March and is offered a spot. Her registration is automatically transfered from the House league to the MS Select league where she's placed on a team honoring her special requests if possible. The second sister also tries out for MS Select but is not selected. She remains in the House league where she's placed on a team honoring her special requests if possible. The third sister does not attend a MS Select tryout. She is placed on a House team honoring her special requests if possible.
For more information, visit the following links:
Calendar (Spring 2017 Example)
- January 1: Registration Opens
- March 1: Registration Closes
- March 7: Coaches Coordination Meeting @7:00pm-8:45pm at the McLean Community Center
- March 8-11: MS Select Round 1 Tryouts
- March 11: HS Travel Tryout @11am-1pm at the McLean HS Main/Lower Gym #2
- March 13: MS Select Round 2 Call-Back @7pm-9pm at the McLean HS Main/Lower Gym #2
- March 15-25: Skills Clinics
- March 20: MS Select Practices Begin
- March 20: House Team Rosters Published
- March 27: House Team Practices Begin
- April 1: Matches Begin
- April 8-16 FCPS Spring Break GYMS CLOSED
- April 22: Team Picture Day for 7th-12th grades at McLean HS
- May 6: Team Picture Day for 4th-6th grades at Longfellow MS
- May 20: Last League Matches & Three-in-A-Row Froyo Challenge
- May 27-29: Memorial Day Weekend GYMS CLOSED
- June 3 & 4: Playoffs for House and Select Leagues
- June 6-8: Internal All-Star Matches (4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th/12th House Leagues)
- June 10: Regional All-Star Tournaments (6th, MS Select Leagues)
with your questions.